Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Usefulness of the Second Assignment

Like the first assignment, this last essay has further improved my critical thinking and communication skills, as well as how to work better in a team environment. It was easier to talk to and communicate with my group mates the second time around, especially since we worked so well before.
While doing my part of the assignment, I noticed that the organization that we chose had their own claims and arguments embedded into their advertisements and messages. At first, I didn't think it would be easy to spot these claims and arguments. But after re-reading parts of the text and applying those concepts towards the organizations messages, it became easier to point out those claims that the organization uses to persuade people into supporting them. I would not necessarily call this a bad or deceptive behavior by the organization, but rather a clever and useful strategy.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the assignments improved my critical thinking and communication skills. During the assignment I had to think really hard about what the assignment was about. I also thought that working in a group made my communication skills better. I also find that working with the same group makes it easier to understand each other. You mentioned how your organization had advertisements embedded, I noticed my organization also had ads to join the organization. My organization also had many kinds of information to persuade people to join. The "about us" was very informative. I also thought the ads were a smart and clever ways to persuade people to join.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I felt similarly to you, I guess because I'm in the same group, haha. Anyways, I agree with the organization and how it embedded its claims in its ads and other messages. I also agree with how much easier it got to spot the claims. I also felt this assignment helped me communicate and work better. I'm not sure if you feel this way, but I've always felt that working in groups makes it a whole lot less stressful and a lot more understandable in terms of the content. As always, nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i ditto that, the second assignment did provide with more alert in the critical thinking aspect as well as how communication is within a group. i liked that we were able to keep the same group tho, everything was much easier that way because we did not have to re-group our thoughts on how to conduct the whole assignment gathering. it was way easier to pull out the claims so i most def.. agree with you on that. overall a great post. i agree with you because of the whole same group thing. hopefully the next assignemnt is as easy as they have been thus far when working in groups.

    ReplyDelete