Thursday, November 4, 2010

Appeal to Emotion

An appeal in emotion in an argument is a premise that suggests that one must believe or do something because he or she feels that way. An example of this is when television ads show pictures of needy children and animals. Those pictures are used to make people feel sympathy towards them and cause them to feel like they must do something to help. This was an example of appeal to pity which is the one that strikes me the most. It's the appeal that hits me most mainly because I'm the type of person that can sometimes care too much about someone or something. I realize that there are those who are less fortunate then most, so I help as much as I can. Seeing people or animals that are in need bring out this side of me that forces me to do something.

2 comments:

  1. Hello there,
    I really liked your example of appeal to emotion. It's like you can't go a day without seeing those kinds of ads on tv, especially those 'Feed the Children' ones. It hurts to see those ads. This is why I felt the same about which aspect struck me the most. We're all put into tough situations but there are people that have it a lot worse than we do. Rather than focusing on what we don't have, we should focus on others that having little to nothing at all. Nice post. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that pity is the most touching of all the emotional appeals. It is so much harder to say no when you feel sorry for someone or for some situation! It is a lot easier to brush off fear and some of the other appeals, whereas pity can be very hard to combat sometimes. There are a lot of ads like you mentioned on television and on the internet everywhere- and no one can afford to help them all. It’s a good idea to pick one or two things you feel really passionate about and help out there as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete