Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reasoning

Examples:
1). Reasoning by Analogy - My brother doesn't get good grades, yet my parents bought him a car. I have great grades so I should get a car; maybe even a better one.
2). Sign Reasoning - It's been a month since he sprained his ankle during a game. He hasn't played since so it must still be bothering him.
3). Causal Reasoning - If she doesn't get any sleep, she'll be really cranky.
4). Reasoning by Criteria - My shoes make my feet hurt. I should probably buy new ones.
5). Reasoning by Example - I once took her class and found it pretty difficult at first. But once I stayed after class and asked her in depth questions, it became much easier. If you take her class, you should do the same.
6). Inductive - I didn't study at all for the last exam and got a bad grade. This time, I'll put time in to study so I can get a better grade.
7). Deductive - If he studies, he will pass the test. He studied thoroughly, so he will the test.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your examples and some of them were quite funny ^^. Especially the example you used for reasoning by analogy. I think it is funny that there are different types of reasoning and that there are different kinds of examples for each. I did had some hard times understanding what reasoning by criteria, inductive and deductive means. But I went on other people's blog and it helped me a lot. inductive reasoning is drawing a conclusion from one's experience and Deductive reasoning is " If this, then that, so this". Learning all the different forms of reasoning will definitely help me with the last assignment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Your post really helped me with my examples and understanding the concepts of the different types of reasoning. I liked how your examples were easy to understand and they kept my attention. I wasn't scratching on any of them like I did for my own at times. I had trouble with some of them, but I'm sure we all had our issues on this assignment. Anyways, nice post. See you when we do our next group assignment.

    ReplyDelete