Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Subjective and Objective Claims

Subjective claims are statements/facts that are usually expressed by one's only opinion and judgement. For example, my boyfriend and I were talking about my favorite pop icon, Lady Gaga.  I personally love Lady Gaga because she is inspirational, her songs are phenomenal, her performances are always different and astonishing, and she is very innovative.  Other the other hand, my boyfriend thinks Lady Gaga's songs are also great, but he thinks that her personality is unusual, her outfits are outrageous, and she is not what a popular singer should be like in this contemporary world. That is why my boyfriend does not really like Lady Gaga as much as I do. Both my opinion and my boyfriend's opinion are subjective because it is based on our own view or what we think is precise or normal.

Objective claims are statements that are based on the sources of facts.  For example, my friend and I were talking a couple days ago about how Toyota and Lexus have similar car models.  She was wondering why they were alike.  So we both searched through the web and found out that Toyota actually owns Lexus.  Lexus is more luxurious than Toyota is.  That would be considered an objective claim because the claim that Toyota and Lexus are similar is factual due to their affiliation with each other.

1 comment:

  1. Haha I love Lady gaga too! I think she is a very talented singer and VERY creative :) I do like her eccentric costumes and the meaning in her lyrics. She is the outsider, which makes her special. I like the fact that she is avant-garde and that she is not afraid to wear flamboyant costumes ^_^.Then again I can understand why your boyfriend doesn't like her. People may think that she is trying to be a "show off" or wear costume for the attention. Is that what a star truly wants? Attention or appreciation?

    ReplyDelete